Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Black Bean Burritos...mmmm....

I'm not a recipe posting kind of gal, but since I got "promoted" to head chef, I've recently been looking for new things to add to our repertoire. I've also been on the hunt for more vegetarian recipes to add to our meat-tastic household, in an effort to eat more healthy and get some veggies in our lives. This one I had to share.

Seriously easy. So easy that even I can't screw it up. Seriously good. Leftovers included.

So, get yourself:

A can of black beans
A can of diced tomatoes (I'll likely use fresh ones when the garden explodes)
A pack of 10 flour tortillas (the big ones)
A bundle of fresh cilantro
Package of cream cheese
Rice
One Red pepper - you could do one green one too, but since Steve thinks green peppers are from the devil, we skip them
One onion
Garlic

You want about 4 cups of cooked rice when it's done, so get that party started first. (We like the PC Jasmine rice, because it cooks up about twice as fast as regular rice.)

Chop up your onion and pepper(s) and a clove of garlic or two and saute them in a bit of oil, and about a 1/2 tsp of salt. Add the tomatoes, and bring the whole mess to a boil, and then let it simmer for a bit to cook off some of the tomato liquid. (Juice. I think they call that tomato JUICE.)

(Special thanks to my brain for kicking in just in time there.)

Add the black beans, stirry stirry.

Add 1/2 a block of cream cheese, about 125 grams (don't ask me what the hell that is in ounces, it's 1/2 a block, ok?) More stirry stirry. You have to keep with the stirring once the cheese is in, to make sure that whole sucker melts.

Add your 4 cups of cooked rice. Again with the stir.

Now, cilantro - there are 2 camps when it comes to cilantro, and we live in the WE LOVE CILANTRO! camp. If you happen to live in the WE HATE CILANTRO! camp, you're gonna want to skip this step. Chop up a bunch - I think I did about a 1/4 cup, and toss it in there. Maybe if you're a hater, you could try parsley instead?

If you like life a bit hot and spicy, here's where you could add something hot and spicy. Sauce? Red pepper flakes? Go wild, pick whatever you like.

Me, not so much with the hot and spicy.

You could also add a squeeze of lime juice here. The one lime I had in the fridge kind of looked like it had been there since 1987, so I skipped this step.

You end up with a big (note: BIG - you need a BIG frying pan for this) pan of yummy, that looks a little something like this:
Now, grab your tortillas, and fill 'em up! This recipe makes enough for AT LEAST 10 tortillas, usually with a bit of the mix leftover, which from now on I will feed to the kid since last night he kept FREAKING out about his tortilla falling apart.

You can chuck them in the oven if hubby is late for dinner - they stay nice and warm in there and the tortillas get all nice and cooked-like too. Or you can just eat 'em right away, just like that.

Bonus - these make fab leftovers, and taste just as good cold as they do warm.

Dinner - prepped in 20 minutes start to finish. Rock on.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

OH I can't wait to try this! It sounds so great and so easy. I am all about the easy! We will be going sans cilantro however! Thanks for sharing!

Terri-Ann said...

I love your writing style! Hilarious. I can actually hear you relating the recipe in person... thanks for this one. Bless whoever put black beans in a can, because most of our vegetarian meals revolve around this little delight. (I often fight the meat-lovers in my house)

Leah said...

We are trying this tonight, I'll let you know how it goes!

Ginger said...

I made this tonight! We love it! It is so filling and we have plenty of left overs. My husband wants me to add chicken. He wants me to add chicken to everything. And I am going to have to find something to add a tad more flavor since we don't eat cilantro. But the best part is that it is so fast and easy and makes tons. These will be very important factors when the boys hit their teenage years!