Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One Year Old!

Dear Griffin,

It's official - after a monster party, cake smashing, beer swilling, and one very minor (but somewhat obligatory) "I've-had-enough-of-this-birthday-party-and-all-these-people-makethemgohomesoIcansleepnowplease" breakdown, you've done it - you're ONE!!

It's taken me a while to figure out what to write here, there is HUGE pressure to make this a good one, a touching, yet funny and smart in all the right places, something to look back upon in years to come, sort of post. I still have no idea what to say. But figured I better get it down, because it's also SOMEONE Else's birthday today too, and I should likely write something for him too. The pressures of Motherhood are ENORMOUS!!

It's flabbergasting to sit down and think back to a year ago, and just how far you've come in one year. If I had to cram everything into my brain that you have in the past year, I'd have a MASSIVE headache! One year ago you were a helpless puking pooping scream machine, and now, NOW, you're an independent, intelligent, WALKING, still pooping, smile machine, with the occasional scream thrown in to make us all nostalgic. It's incredible that you've handled it all with such ease!

Watching you grow and learn has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life thus far. But not every second of the past year has been roses and butterflies. One of your Mother's greatest talents is the smile and nod. Everything is great! We love this! Uh huh. It always felt to me like admitting that being a parent is sometimes difficult, sometimes NOT fun at all, made me a failure as a mother. But I've come to the realization that I am a Mother, not a superhero, and that's OK. It would be kind of cool to have a superhero for a mother, but look at how much stress the Incredibles had...seriously, I think you're better off with a regular Mom, and besides, that's what you've got, so you'll just have to deal!

And now, for a little mushy goodness...the things I love about you, my one and only baby boy:

I love your smile, and the way it lights up a room. Although I hate being away from you, when I come pick you up from day care, or come home after a few hours away, the smile on your face, the sparkle in your eye, the giggles, and the crawling asfastashumanlypossible to get to me make it all worth while.

I love that you get snuggly when you're tired, because I do too and there's nothing better than snuggling up with you at the end of a long day.

I love that you love to eat! We have never had to trick you, coax you, or convince you to eat by doing anything other than put the food in front of you - you eat with gusto, and it's wonderful to watch!
I love your loyalty, and that you recognise those in your life who love you and who mean a lot to you. You've never made strange with anybody, but it seems to me that you reserve your best smiles for the people that love you the most (and the people that buy you the most presents...ie: your grandparents! 'Atta boy!)

I LOVE that you've finally got the hang of sleep! When you sleep now, you sleep like I do - like the dead! I think that one needs to be pretty relaxed and peaceful to sleep that deeply and soundly, and I'm glad that you are at peace enough to do that.

And lastly, but not leastly (that's right, leastly) I love that you have increased my capacity for Love itself. I never knew it was possible to have this much love for another wee person. You are everything I love about your Dad, and a few things I like about me, and your very own original person all rolled up into one, and in my eyes, that makes you the best thing going. You are my sunshine. Congratulations little guy, we've all made it to ONE! Here's to you, and that voodoo that you do so well...


I love you with all my heart and soul,

xoxox

Mama

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ENOUGH...you made me WEEPY! Happy Griffin's birthday, Jenn...and happy your own and Steve's too! All my love,
G

kodeureum said...

A belated Happy Birthday to Lucas and Son. That'd make a great shingle to hang out some day: Lucas and Son, Sets and Lights. Has the boy got any blocks and flashlights yet?