Friday, August 22, 2008

Wait for it....

Back in the olden days when I lived in the city and spent a lot of time waiting for streetcars, I found that the best way to make the streetcar come was to light a cigarette. (In the olden days I was also a smoker!) I'm sure you're familiar with this phenomenon: Waiting for a phone call? Try getting comfortable on the toilet with a good book - sure as shit (no pun intended!) the phone will ring! It happens all the time, in all different parts of life. As Alanis would say, "Isn't it ironic." (Actually Alanis, it's coincidental, not ironic at all.)

Anywho - I discovered a new one today: Waiting for your period to arrive? Your LATE period, that you can normally set your fricking watch to? Try spending fourteen bucks on a pregnancy test, that'll make the sucker show up! I kid you not, not 15 minutes after I walked out of the store with my eggs, tomatoes, and a pregnancy test, did "Aunt Flo" (gawd I HATE that euphemism!) show up at my door. (Good thing I hit the feminine hygiene aisle too while I was at the grocery store. Hey, I was either pregnant, or just late, and I was just trying to be prepared for either scenario!!)

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We went out and bought the Angelcare this evening and she is currently (sleeping) on her tummy. Mom, dad and baby are happy, so far, and able to cope with the tummy sleeping due to the added peace of mind from the Angelcare. Poor little peanut is probably thinking, "Geez, it took you people long enough to figure out I hate being on my back!"

And I know what you mean with the prego tests...just as soon as you succumb to buying the overpriced tests, your monthly friend decides to arrive.

jayna said...

Ugh, that was so my trick for making it start. My favorite? Before E, on vacation, at the in-laws. A good two weeks late. Literally got my period as I finished taking the test. Like, immediately. That was great.

Anonymous said...

I also enjoy wearing white pants. Risky, I know, but it worked, with no embarrassing situations. Saved me some cash.

Regina said...

...and you can just save that test for a later date, right???

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, hon! You made my heart jump! The last time I was late it was because of J-man! Save that test for a "later" *snicker* date!

Anonymous said...

Phew! Can't believe i missed all this drama! Hazzah~