Sunday, October 25, 2009

The road to naptime is paved with good intentions....

Today I tried everything possible to thwart a car nap.

I failed.

I KNEW we were going to be grocery shopping today. I wanted to go this morning, but my kid can not resist the lure of the moving car, and falls asleep every time. Problem is, the grocery store is only 20 minutes away, and a 20 minute nap is hardly my idea of long enough.

At 10:30am he came to me and said, "Mommy, I'm a little bit tired." Great, I thought! Nap time it is. I set him up with his chosen "quiet time" fodder (Pinocchio) and turned off the lights and closed the door. 45 minutes later he came paddling out of the bedroom.

"Mommy, I'm awake."

Humph. I see that.

At 11:45 he was asking for soup. So I stuffed him full, and said "how about quiet time now?"

"Will you come too?" he asked.

Hells yes! And off we toddled. An hour or so later, he came to me and said "Mommy, it's time to get up." I had a lovely nap. Him? He lasted about 20 minutes on the bed, and then snuck away. I heard him sneak away. I choose to ignore it. I was damn comfortable.

After his my naptime, I decided it was finally time to haul arse to the grocery store.

Kid? Asleep in less than 4 minutes. I timed it.

2 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

on the weekends Jonathan falls asleep in the car on the way back from my parents...it's always about 6 p.m. He sleeps for the hour ride home, wakes up when we try to carry him in (which is getting harder the older he gets) and wants to be up until midnight.

See these bags under my eyes? Yeah, well....there you go. This happened today too!

Tiffany@NOH said...

I'm 30 and I still love sleeping in the car. I need a drive of at least 2 hours to do the trick, though :)

Our little one is only 11 months, but I dread the days when she thinks she's too old for a nap. She already only sleeps about an 1 hr most days which barely gives me time to sit down and think.