Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Baby is Born (not ours!)


The long awaited baby Isaac/Gretel has arrived! He Who has Yet to be Named (Baby Monkey Jump?) arrived yesterday evening around 5pm, after much anticipation, a bit of moaning and groaning, and some foul Chinese herbs said to help induce labor (I guess they work!) And I was there for the whole entire thing!

What an experience! More learning in a few hours than all the prenatal classes you could ever take. I was pondering on my drive home from the city, why all expectant moms don't get to witness a birth first hand. I'd seriously recommend it.

Many people asked me today if I still feel good about giving birth. I'd say Heck, I feel waaaay better about having this baby now!! I mean, all you ever hear from people is their labor and delivery horror stories. All you see on TV (like the Baby Story and all that crap) is women hollering and screaming like banshees, and smacking their husbands upside the head. Seeing someone you know and love go through labor, (and all the pains and other excitement that goes along with it) with a purposeful determination, is really uplifting and inspiring. Watching the love that can come from husbands and 4 year olds to help mammas get through everything they need to get through is enough to make a girl tear up! And watching all that love and determination push a little head out into the world is really like nothing I've ever experienced before.

I'm much more excited about this baby now (and all the hormones floating around in that room yesterday seem to have caused a bit of a growth spurt in our little wee one!) Steve and I are going to have just as much love and determination to help this baby out - I have no doubt that Steve will be the perfect support for me through the birth. I just hope that I can be as valiant and brave as I saw Gretel be, and keep my sense of humor between contractions like she did too!!

Baby weighed in at a healthy 8 lbs, 2 oz. Tristan counted fingers and toes and there were 10 of each. Baby slept a good chunk of the night, and Mama and baby, as well as the rest of the family are well and good. All is well with the world.

In other news, Tristan has yet to give birth to his dragon. (For those that don't know the story, Tristan has had a dragon growing in his belly ever since Mama told him about the baby growing in hers. He's supposed to come out in March, Tristan plans on having him in the backyard, since he's going to be too big for the basement.) I'll keep you posted on that one!

1 comment:

kodeureum said...

Maybe Tristan should have an ultrasound. At least then he'll know if it's going to be a boy or girl dragon. How about Baby Monkey Leap? Or Spring?