Saturday, February 02, 2008

A touch of the flu.

Last night, at about 1am, Griffin decided it would be apropriate to vomit the entire contents of his stomach into his crib. OK, it may have been less of a "decision" that I credit it for. Anywho, maybe now is also when I mention that Griffin sleeps on a very lovely, very soft sheep skin - a gift from a very dear friend. So, faced with a boy and a sheepskin covered in vomit, I wasn't quite sure what to do. I eliminated the idea of changing the boy and then just going back to bed, which is what I really WANTED to do, since I figured dried up regurgitated pasta at 7am wasn't going to be any more fun than the freshly regurgitated 1am kind. So I'm in the bathroom with a sheepskin and a washcloth, wondering how to clean this stupid (but lovely!) thing. Washing machine - out. Wiping gingerly with a washcloth - not working worth a damn.

Think country, think logical...it was one am, this was difficult. But then I thought, OK, what would we do if Griffin had puked on an ACTUAL sheep...since that's what we're dealing with here, no need to be all delicate about it. If Griffin puked on a sheep, we'd be getting out the garden hose and a bottle of dish detergent, holding that sheep down, and giving it a big old bath. So that's what I did. Turn off wimpy bathroom tap. Turn on shower. Scrub. Rinse. Repeat. Hang to dry and hope for the best. Go back to bed.

The sheepskin is fine. Griffin, however, continued to vomit up anything that came within a 2 foot radius of his stomach lining for the rest of the night. The kid made more laundry in 5 hours than the whole family usually makes in a week! Needless to say, we didn't sleep worth shit last night. And then this morning, he just stopped, cold turkey, had enough of the vomit train and just got off. And proceeded to fall asleep for 3 hours as soon as the babysitter arrived. Nice.

Motherhood - it's getting more glamorous by the day!

How's your life?

5 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

I would have to say that my life is a little better than yours at the moment. No puke-fest 2008 going on here, thank goodness!

Anonymous said...

Deepest sympathies...perhaps you can now imagine the enormity of our Xmas pukefest, with humanoids of all ages puking all over my house!

Jenn said...

I thought of you Gretel, amidst the puke fest as I cursed as Griffin puked on his 4th set of PJ's for the night, and took a brief pause to shudder at the thought of all the laundry you must have had on your hands!

Lara said...

Ugh - not fun. I hope he feels better soon. :(

We woke up this morning to dried blood all over Kiernan's face and crib from a nosebleed in the night. Discovering your child covered in blood is quite the unsettling experience :P

Kendra said...

I live in absolute fear of these days to come!