Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bedtime Stories

I love bedtime. I love snuggling up with Griffin in his little bed and reading him his stories, and then turning off the lights and cuddling up with him until he falls asleep. When he's in a good mood, it can be a delightful little bit of time. We have a pool of 5 or 6 of his favourite books that we read 3 of each night. It's hard to convince him to try something new - he likes his old favourites, which is mostly fine with me. (Except the "Nemo Book." It bugs me. I can't really say why - it's a book where you have to find all the things on the page that are shown in the margin. It used to challenge him, but now he knows it all off by heart and it just annoys me. But that's beside the point.)

I'm actually not sure which I like more - reading Griffin stories, or listening to Steve read them to him. I love listening to the banter that the two of them have going on. They have a ton of fun up there, the 2 of them are perfectly adorable to listen to. I like hearing Steve read the stories that I read every other night, and hearing his twist on them. I love listening to them learn from each other, and it doesn't happen very often (as Steve doesn't have quite the sleepy gene that I have) but occasionally I'll go upstairs after they've been up there for an hour or so, and find the two of them entangled in each other, competing to see who can snore the loudest.

When I first met Steve, it seemed a shame to me that he didn't have kids, because it was one of the first things that I pictured him as - a great father. I'm glad things turned out the way they did - I can't think of anyone on this earth that I'd rather have as the father of my children - funny voices and crazy story reading accents and all!

2 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I love it when my husband and son spend time together. It almost makes him more attractive to me...which is hard to say because he already has a lot of good points to him!

Sounds like you are one lucky lady!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I'm with you, hon. It's awesome watching my husband interact with my kids, being gentle and playful with them. He's a bigger kid than all of our kids put together!