Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Gift of an Evening

Do you ever have one of those days/nights where it just all comes together?

Yeah, pretty fricking rare around here too!

But tonight, the clouds parted for just a moment, and a ray of light shone down on me, and my children, and my sewing room, and it all went right for a moment.

I thought it was going to hell at 5:30, when Corben fell asleep for his 4th nap today.

Fourth.

That was sure to be the demise of bedtime as we know it.

He woke up at 6:30, wailing.

We snuggled, he ate.

Griffin, who spent a good part of this (rainy) day playing games on the computer (I'm a bad, bad mother,) was bouncing off the walls after dinner, and the snack that he requested 30 minutes after dinner was over.

(I gave in, but I had a secret...carbs. I fed him all carbs. Dinner, and snack. Carbs. HA!)

I convinced him to pick out some books and come snuggle with Corben and I in the big bed. We'd read. He'd keep bouncing. Eventually, something would give.

Corben conked in a milk drunk stupor.

Griffin and I read 4 books (one up from our usual three,) and he bounced and bounced and bounced around until about 6 minutes after the last book ended, when he threw his arm around me and said "Mama, I just wanna snuggle with you," and passed out cold.

And at 8:06 I posted this picture to Twitter, and proclaimed it a sign that I was to head up to my sewing room and sew:
I had already been in my sewing room today to start and finish a little project that I got into my head, a blanket for my cousin who's shower is in a few weeks. The best thing about having a stash is being able to whip off last minute projects at random, like these:

Shower blankey: And another blanket/changepad thingy I whipped up last week, combined with an excuse to show off the cutest baby on the planet, made extra cute by the accentuation of the Thunder thighs by the BabyLegs:
Anyway, back to my story about the light shining from the heavens and what not...

So by 8:10, cold beverage in hand, I was in my sewing room, turning this:
into a quilt.

Hot damn if I didn't get it all cut, and 12 squares pieced. It needs some sashing , and the top is done. Go me.

By 9:30 I was (back) here, at the computer. I've been chatting with friends, answering emails, christmas shopping, finishing my drink, hushing children, nursing babies, and blogging for the past 2 hours, all of which was delightful.

And now I'm going to hit publish, and crawl into bed.

And that, my friends, is what I call a successful evening.

G'night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my freaking hell... That is the CUTEST blanket I have ever seen! I'm soooo jealous of your mad skills... Even more, I'm soooo jealous of your cousin.

clschaan said...

lol .. yeah those days are pretty rare around here too! My sons name is Griffin too!

Capital Mom said...

I love the hooded towel. You don't have an Etsy shop by any chance? :-) I am looking to buy some right now.