Sunday, August 28, 2011

Epic Cross Country Journey - fin.

So, we're home.

And the Epic Cross Country Journey?


I don't even know what to say about it all, which is maybe why it's taken me so long to write about it. (I also feel like no one is even reading this these anyone still here?)

Seeing our country, from our home right through to the most westerly part, was an amazing experience.

When I asked Griffin what his favourite part was on the way home from the airport, he said "the...everything!"

That pretty much sums it up.

When we last posted, we were in Kamloops. We travelled from there to Vancouver, from Vancouver to Nanaimo, and from Nanaimo to Terrace Beach Resort, in Ucluelet, on the far western edge of the island.

Terrace Beach was 5 days of a whole lotta nothing - just what we needed after our 14 day trek across the country.

We spent the week with Steve's parents, sister and brother in law. Griffin had a blast, building sandcastles and picking berries with his aunt and uncle, and generally being entertained by someone other than us.

Griffin came down with a fever some time mid week, and things spiraled slightly from there. We went on a beautiful wildlife cruise, where I spent the majority of the time in the lower cabin, with two nauseous children, and feeling a little green myself. Corbie actually tossed his cookies all over the lovely cabin floor, and Griffin passed out for about 20 minutes after I gave him a Gravol, and woke up feeling much better. We had an amazing dinner anchored in an inlet though, which made the whole puke fest worthwhile!

Unfortunately, it continued. Griffin's fever stuck around, and on our way back to Vancouver, there were three puke-tastrophies in the car. One single one from Corbie, and then a tandem, and epic one that required a pullover, a complete change, and $2 to fire up the vacuum at the gas station, to suck up all the nasties. Oh, and then once more on the ferry.

Luckily, there were no incidents on the plane (which might have had to do with the fact that this over-paranoid mother Gravol-ed the heck out of the children...totally warranted, I thought!)

And now we're home, and getting ready to go back to work tomorrow.

Would I do it again? Yes, totally.

Would I do it again anytime soon? Yes, actually, I would. Totally.

I have a shipload of pictures to sort through (and make a book out of, I think.) And hopefully I'll share some more at some point. But for now, it's off to bed.

Thanks for traveling with us!


Sue said...

glad you're back safe - loved hearing about the Great Adventure, and hope to see some pix!

Ginger said...

I'm still reading! What an awesome adventure! I hope you show more pics because the ones you have posted are beautiful! I love living vicariously! :) Glad you guys are home safe! Hope the boys are feeling better!

jayna said...

I'm still here! I've loved following your trip - it truly seems like so much more than an epic journey and you've pulled it off amazingly! Something to aspire to, for sure!

Can't wait to see more pictures if you decide to post them - everything looks so gorgeous!