Saturday, December 01, 2007

Forecast: Crap, changing to Freezing Crap.

Once again, it seems like Mama Nature is going to mess with my plans to go into the city again. Jeez...do you think someone is trying to tell me something?

This time we're expecting snow, followed by freezing rain, followed by more snow. It's not the snow that's so bad. It's that stupid freezing rain that gets us! Freezing rain is, well, frozen, and thus stays on stuff. It seems to have a particular affliction for trees, and power lines. Trees get heavy, and come tumbling down. Usually, smack on top of those already ice laden power lines. Hey...doesn't this sound familiar? Didn't we play this game last year?

I read an article recently about the 10 year anniversary of the 1998 Ice Storm - this was an extreme case of the damage that can be caused by the evils of freezing rain. Don't know what I'm talking about? There's a great little CBC clip from the midst of the storm here. I don't think we're in for it that bad, but even last year's little freezing rain episode left us without power for 3 days. But it's all good...we're leaving for a few days to join Steve in Winterpeg. I'm sure this freezing rain business won't affect ANYTHING that has to do with us flying in an airplane...

1 comment:

Burgh Baby said...

Ewwww, Winterpeg! I don't like it there. At all. It might have a little to do with the time when my high school band was stuck there for days thanks to the crap weather. Not that North Dakota's weather is any better.