Sunday, October 03, 2010

FIN

I screwed the tops on 14 pints of salsa today, and officially declared the canning season here on the roof over.
We did not too bad this year, canning more varieties of stuff than ever before. Still, for next season I'm hoping that we can get a pressure canner (do you hear that, Santa?) and I can go way above and beyond what we did this year. However, between Picklepalooza (dills, bread and butter pickles and relish,) peaches, apple sauce, blueberry jam and salsa, I'd say we did OK.
I'm also over the top excited about my new little basement "pantry," even though we ran out of room half way through the season (there's a bunch of pickles stacked on the floor, and the salsa is still cooling in the kitchen.)

There's also a bushel of tomatoes that were blanched, peeled and put in the freezer, because I ran out of time to can them all before they went off! Good thing though, because we wouldn't have had room for them!

I didn't freeze as much as I could have this year, there were a lot of beans that could have been salvaged, and I'm sorry that I didn't cut the kale more often and freeze it. However, there is a whole pile of blueberries in the freezer, and even more strawberries to get us through the winter.

There are still a ton of potatoes in the garden that haven't been dug, and a wheelbarrow full of squash sitting at my back door. Seriously, a wheelbarrow. What the hell am I going to do with a wheelbarrow full of squash??!! I'm considering digging the potatoes and trying to store them in the basement somewhere cool, but I'm not sure if it's actually cold enough in the basement for them. Anyone have any potato storage tips?

(By the way, this year's salsa? Is AWESOME! It's got a nice kick, with a bit of a smokey flavour thanks to some chipotle chili pepper I tossed in there at the last minute.)

So, when winter's frigid hand finally strikes, we'll be the ones sitting around eating salsa and sweet Ontario peaches, tasting the fresh tastes of summer all over again. You know where we are, if you want to come and join us!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Jenn jenn bo benn,
My mum freezes her squash. Apparently my grandfather (my dad's Dad) taught her how. Want me to ask what she does with it? I know there is a special procedure. Otherwise I can give you my squash and sage pasta bake recipe. Made it up myself.
Beaner

Terri-Ann said...

You are my canning lady hero. Someday, someday. I would usually here use the excuse of young children, but that just doesn't fly talking to someone else with young children (and boys, also!). I've heard the answer is to always can with a friend, then it's not just an endless amount of jars and food.

Burgh Baby said...

HOLY SMOKES, woman! That's a pretty amazing stash you have going right there!